21 July 2023
Outline planning application approved for 8,500 homes
4 April 2023
Folkestone & Hythe District Council’s Planning and Licensing Committee has tonight (4 April 2023) resolved to grant outline planning permission for Otterpool Park, a new 8,500 home garden town near Folkestone in Kent.
The transformative development, led by master developer Otterpool Park LLP on behalf of Folkestone & Hythe District Council, supported by planning and development specialists Quod, Arcadis, Tibbalds and Farrells, will deliver homes, jobs and community facilities in a vibrant, sustainable new community characterised by large amounts of green space and its landscape-led setting.
The approved plans include:
- Up to 8,500 homes of a range of types and tenures, including over 1,870 affordable homes and over 400 self-build homes.
- Approximately 50% of the application site will be open space with new cycling and walking routes and significant historic features retained including bronze age barrows, Roman villa remains, Westenhanger Castle and its medieval barns, world war airfield remains and Folkestone Racecourse’s parade circle.
- Creation of an integrated transport network to connect the new garden town and reduce car use centred around Westenhanger train station.
- Electric vehicle charging points and other measures aimed at limiting environmental impact and boosting nature biodiversity by 20%.
- Up to 29,000 sqm of retail and related uses.
- Up to 87,500 sqm of employment floor space including commercial business hubs, a commercial business park and a light industrial park.
- Up to 67,000 sqm of education and community facilities floorspace including up to 7 primary and up to 2 secondary schools as well as nurseries and crèches, health centres, places of worship and community centres.
- Up to 8,000 sqm of hotel floorspace and 8,500 sqm of leisure floorspace, including a sports pavilion and indoor sports hall provision.
- Infrastructure and utilities including a new electrical substation and potable water network reinforcement and provision of a fibre-to-home broadband network.
Click the link below to read the full press release.
13 July 2023
9 June 2023